February 17, 2015

Two Second Garland Tutorial

By Amy

I spend a lot of time in my kitchen.  Feeding kids, washing dishes (curse our broken dishwasher!) using my laptop at the table while Hayden draws, etc.  I also spend a good amount of time gazing into the fridge, wondering and worrying about what to make for dinner.  (I'm working on the meal planning stuff, but it's been slow going.) Then last-second, I'll whip up a box of stove-top stuffing and put a handful of baby carrots on each plate so I feel like I made my family a healthy meal.

Since I spend so much time in my kitchen, I figured it should be at least aesthetically pleasing.  Heck, I can't cook to save my life, but maybe my husband will be so dazzled by our artistically arranged kitchen walls, he won't notice that I cooked up a frozen pizza again.  But, there are carrots too, so, it's cool, right?  Right??  (For the record, he knows cooking is straight-up stressful to me, so he is always appreciative when I do cook, even if it is frozen pizza.  On his nights, he makes stuff like enchiladas or fancy pork chops...and I am in heaven.)

Well, recently I realized that something was missing from the wall above our table.  After some pondering, here's what I made--the two second garland!  Now the wall is so dazzling, I'm pretty much set for making frozen pizzas for eternity.  Who cares what you're eating when you have such a feast for your eyes before you at every meal?  Ha!

I love that my garland is gold, cute, and simple, but best of all--it was quick.  I'm no elaborate crafter cause I lack the patience and work space.


Ok... it took more than two seconds, but it was quick.  And since my blogging lately is pretty dismal, I'm sure nobody is surprised that I didn't even think of taking pics documenting the steps.  Really, the process was really simple--let me break it down.

Step 1: Buy pretty paper from the craft store and come home with 4 other crafty items which you don't need--this will cause your husband to roll his eyes.

Step 2: Find something round of the desired size (I think I used the bottom of a spice bottle) to trace circles on the back of the paper, then cut them out while watching "The Paradise" on Netflix.  (Which will also cause your husband to roll his eyes.)

Step 3: Use scotch tape to tape the circles to whatever piece of string you have handy.

Step 4: Scotch tape the garland to the back of some pictures hanging on your wall.  Voila!  Done!


Disclaimer: If you assemble according to my instructions, don't let ANYONE touch it, or it will probably fall apart.  You have been warned.  Hey, I said it was aesthetically pleasing, adorably gold, and quirky...I never claimed it was structurally sound.  Sorry.

Check out the Napoleon Dynamite quote...tutorial is here.

Well, that's all it is!  What do you think?  You could have fun adapting this simple garland, especially if you have one of those scrapbooky shape cutter-outer punch things...you could make a bunch of garlands for a birthday party or use shamrocks for St. Patty's Day...or you could just put up a cute circle garland just because you need a little more "dazzling". :)

Love you, friends!  I'm off to assemble another glorious meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your questions, comments, and compliments...we like 'em all! :) Don't be shy: we want to hear from YOU! Plus, you can let this lady know her story was heard--I promise your comment means a lot to her!

Thanks, friends! :)